Submission cover sheet
- Name of organisation or individual making this submission
- Authorised delegate/contact person
Fire Services Engineer
FIRE Technical Services
Questions on possible options
- What kind of plans should be signed off and declared by a statutory declaration?
- Should a statutory declaration accompany all variations to plans or only major variations?
- How should plans be provided to, or accessed by, the Building Commissioner?
As pdf files, the local council should provide the storage & access infrastructure. Many councils already do this for all development applications.
- In what circumstances would it be difficult to document performance solutions and their compliance with the BCA?
When it is a smoke & mirrors or BS solution, which is actually intended to cut costs.
- What would the process for declaring that a building complies with its plans look like?
Independent (non-private) person compares drawings with actual building, then completes a form documenting the compliance & any non-compliances.
- What kind of role should builders play in declaring final building work?
To guide the council based building inspectors through the building.
- Which builders involved in building work should be responsible for signing off on buildings?
None. All sign offs should be by an independent person without financial interest in the process.
- Are existing licensing regimes appropriate to be accepted as registration for some builders and building designers, such as architects, for the new scheme?
Mostly, yes. A similar scheme needs to be implemented for consultants, who create a mountain of paper with little actual substance. I have seen countless "electrical specifications" where the fire electrical part is a bad joke - referring to wrong standards or standards that were obsoleted 20 years ago.
- What should be the minimum requirements for a registration scheme?
Identify the person, confirm their skills & knowledge & little else.
- What form of insurance should be mandatory for ‘building designers’? Why?
Public liability & professional indemnity. To provide a means of financial recourse to rectify their stuff ups...
- What kinds of minimum requirements should be prescribed for the insurance policy (for example, value, length of cover, etc.)?
$10-$20 million for services, 1.5x building value for builders. 5 years cover.
- What skills should be mandatory for ‘building designers’?
Good English, CAD, understanding of the BCA, state codes & Australian Standards and their relationships, understanding the requirements & limitations of the parts of the building design that they are responsible for, including the products and/or materials.
- Which categories of building practitioners should owe a duty of care?
- What should be the scope of the duty of care? Should it apply to all or certain types of work? If so, which work?
- What types of consumers should be owed a duty of care?
All. They are paying for it.