• Download
  • Print

Most recent

Housing & Property

Realtor convicted of fraud to serve 12 months intensive correction order

13 February, 2020
Media release relating to the conviction of former director of Guncom Pty Ltd, Ms Alice Gaye Gunning on four breaches of the Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002.
Read more
Housing & Property

Real estate, property and tenancy law changes commence

25 March, 2020
Significant changes to residential tenancy and real estate and property laws have now started in NSW, following the commencement of major legislative reforms on 23 March 2020
Read more

21 March 2018

Housing & Property

Natural disasters

Damage to property caused by natural disasters can affect anyone and often catch us unprepared. It can be very disruptive as people rush to have urgent repairs carried out. NSW Fair Trading and other service providers can assist.

This information may help you with the kinds of concerns that could impact you after a natural disaster.

Contact your insurer and/or financial institution early to establish what financial impact any damage may have.

Home repairs

Before undertaking repairs, make sure the tradesperson is licensed for the job that needs doing. Carefully read contracts before signing them and make sure you understand any terms and conditions.

Unsolicited consumer agreements are subject to a 10-day cooling off period and payment cannot be requested during this time.

Search for licensed builders and tradespeople on the Construction Assist website.

Travelling conmen

Beware of travelling conmen and unlicensed traders, who target disaster-affected areas, offering cheap, cash-only repairs to roofs, driveways and damaged trees.

If you take up such offers, you run the risk of:

  • substandard work
  • being left out of pocket if the trader disappears before finishing the job
  • being unable to contact the trader once they have been paid
  • paying more to have a legitimate tradesperson repair shoddy work.

Before you employ a tradesperson:

  • check your insurance policy and find out if you are covered
  • ask around for suitable tradespeople and get quotes
  • ask for a tradesperson’s full name and licence number and check they are licensed to do the work
  • do not pay in full up front
  • be wary of door-to-door offers - get proof that the tradesperson is offering the deal legally and appropriately
  • check with your local council if a building permit or other approval is needed.

Renting your home

Landlords and tenants have rights and responsibilities if their rental property has been affected by a natural disaster, including arranging for urgent repairs, cleaning or clearing any debris caused by a disaster and arranging for utilities to be restored if they were cut-off due to damage to the property.

Tenants and landlords can call our dedicated hotline on 1800 625 963 for assistance.

More information on natural disasters when renting is available.

Rented caravan damaged or uninhabitable

You can terminate your agreement immediately and go elsewhere. You need to notify the Park Manager. You need to give a notice of termination in writing.

Furniture or personal belongings damaged

You need to contact your own insurance company about your contents insurance policy. If you need disaster assistance, visit the Emergency New South Wales website.

Car damage

Contact your own insurance company to have the damage assessed. If the damage can be repaired, make sure you go to a licensed motor vehicle repairer.

Credit, debt and insurance problems

Contact your financial institution or insurer in the first instance. If you are unable to resolve the issue, call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007.

Prev Egg labelling
Next Infinity electrical cable safety recall