All accredited certifiers are required to complete continuing professional development (CPD) to stay up-to-date with industry developments, skills, tools and knowledge, and statutory responsibilities. The accreditation scheme sets out an annual mandatory CPD program. Certifiers employed by a council must meet different requirements to certifiers in the private sector. The Building Professional Board sets CPD requirements but does not run the actual training courses.
Mandatory CPD program
The Board’s CPD program has two parts:
- part 1 is mandatory for all certifiers, whether or not employed by a council
- part 2 differs depending on whether a certifier is employed by a council.
Part 1: for all certifiers
All certifiers must complete CPD activities approved by the Board, which may include training in:
- professional practice
- relevant legislation such as the Building Professionals Act 2005
- the accreditation scheme
- the Building Code of Australia and/or relevant Australian Standards.
All new A1-A3 certifiers must complete a CPD course in complying development, in their first 12 months of accreditation. The Board has approved two training organisations to deliver this course:
Part 2: for private certifiers
If you’re a private certifier you must complete the CPD requirements of a professional association or equivalent (related to your area of technical specialty), in addition to the Board’s approved activities. You will not be required to attend more than five days of CPD activities in total each year.
Certifiers who work for a council, but do not hold ‘council’ accreditation, have the same CPD requirements as other private certifiers. Go to the CPD for private certifiers who work for a council page for more information.
Part 2: for council certifiers
If you’re a council certifier you must, in addition to our approved CPD activities, complete training in your area of technical specialty:
- during your first year of accreditation, a minimum of 4 hours of CPD
- during your second year of accreditation, a minimum of 6 hours of CPD
- during your third year of accreditation and each subsequent year, a minimum of 8 hours of CPD.
Training in areas of technical specialty may include, but is not limited to:
- completing a building surveying course listed in the accreditation scheme (Part 2, Schedule 3)
- participating in relevant short courses, seminars, conferences, workshops and committees
- undertaking informal personal study such as reading relevant professional journals, manuals and books.
The Board will accept in-house training by councils towards CPD requirements, provided the training clearly meets the needs of building surveyors. Also, the Board periodically requires evidence of CPD completion.
E1 (swimming pool) certifier CPD
All category E1 swimming pool certifiers are required to complete six hours of continuing professional development (CPD) activities each year, from their second year of accreditation.
The FAQ - E1 continuing professional development lists CPD activities that are approved by the Board for E1 certifiers. Only approved activities will count towards CPD requirements.