Certifiers are required to complete continuing professional development (CPD) to stay up to date with industry developments, skills, knowledge, and legislation.
The CPD guidelines:
- replace the CPD program from the former Building Professionals Board Accreditation Scheme
- introduce a two-year transition period for council certifiers to align with CPD requirements for private certifiers
- provide the option to complete a CPD program offered by a professional association or complete the CPD requirements in the CPD guideline
- give different types of CPD activities different points value
- allow certifiers (except swimming pool inspectors) to carry over up to 10 surplus CPD points to the following year.
General CPD requirements
Certifiers must complete:
- 25 CPD points each year (all certifiers excluding swimming pool inspectors)
- 6 CPD points each year (swimming pool inspectors, from their second year of registration onwards)
- any mandatory CPD required by Fair Trading.
The CPD Guidelines provide more information to help certifiers meet requirements. Also, see ‘Mandatory CPD’ further down this page for important information about mandatory CPD.
Transition period for council certifiers
From 1 July 2020, certifiers registered to work for a council only need to complete 15 CPD points in their first year of registration from, 20 points in the second year, and 25 points each year after.
For example, if you renewed your registration in October 2020, you must complete 15 points between October 2020 – October 2021, then 20 points between October 2021 – October 2022.
Swimming pool inspector CPD
Swimming pool inspectors must complete six CPD points per year starting from their second year of registration.
This can include a mix of private learning, professional activities and approved CPD activities, as explained in the CPD Guidelines.
Building surveyors who inspect swimming pools won't be required to complete an extra six CPD points, but should include relevant activities.
Mandatory Fair Trading CPD
There are three mandatory CPD courses for certifiers (outlined below). Certifiers must complete the CPD in order to renew their registration.
Complying development CPD
All new certifiers in any of the building surveyor classes of registration must complete the complying development course in their first year of registration.
There are two approved training providers:
Fair Trading's online CPD
All certifiers, in all classes of registration, must complete Fair Trading’s free online CPD by 1 March 2021 (or within their first year of registration, for new certifiers).
There are two CPD activities, covering:
- corruption prevention
- Building and Development Certifiers legislation
Email email@example.com for access to the CPD and accompanying online quiz. You must achieve 70% in the quiz to receive CPD points.
Certifier’s questions about CPD
When must I comply with the new CPD requirements?
When you first renew your registration after 1 July 2020. E.g. if you renew in February 2021, you must complete:
- private certifiers: 25 points from February 2021 - February 2022, or
- council certifiers who are authorised only to work for a council: 15 points from February 2021 - February 2022, then 20 points from February 2022 - February 2023, and 25 points each subsequent year, or
- swimming pool inspectors: 6 points from February 2021 - February 2022.
My professional association’s CPD program is worth less than 25 points. Does this meet requirements?
You need to at least 25 CPD points. If a CPD program doesn’t give 25 points, you should make up the balance through activities given a points value under the CPD Guidelines.