Continuing professional development
The Building and Development Certifiers Act commenced on 1 July 2020.
This new legislation was created to regulate the certifier industry and changes certifier requirements. Find out more about the new legislation.
Certifiers are required to complete continuing professional development (CPD) to stay up
-to -date with industry developments, skills, knowledge, and legislation.
From 1 July 2020 the new legislation and CPD guidelines will:
- replace the CPD program from the former Building Professionals Board Accreditation Scheme
- introduce a two-year transition period for council certifiers to align with CPD requirements for private certifiers
- provide the option to complete a CPD program offered by a professional association or complete the CPD requirements in the CPD guideline
- change CPD requirements from hours to points, and give different types of CPD activities
adifferent points value
- allow certifiers (except swimming pool inspectors) to carry over up to 10 surplus CPD points to the following year.
General CPD requirements
Certifiers must complete:
- 25 CPD points each year (all certifiers excluding swimming pool inspectors)
- 6 CPD points each year (swimming pool inspectors, from their second year of registration onwards)
- any mandatory CPD required by Fair Trading.
The CPD Guidelines provide more information on how certifiers can meet their development requirements.
Transition period for council certifiers
From 1 July 2020, certifiers registered to work for a council only will need to complete 15 CPD points in their first year of registration from, 20 points in the second year, and 25 points each year after.
For example, if you renew your registration in October 2020, you must complete 15 points between October 2020 – October 2021, then 20 points between October 2021 – October 2022.
Swimming pool inspector CPD
Swimming pool inspectors must complete six CPD points per year starting from their second year of registration.
This can include a mix of private learning, professional activities and approved CPD activities, as explained in the CPD Guidelines.
Building surveyors who inspect swimming pools won't be required to complete an extra six CPD points
, but should include relevant activities.
Mandatory Fair Trading CPD
Currently, there are three mandatory CPD courses for certifiers:
Complying development CPD
All new building surveyor certifiers must complete the complying development course in their first year of registration. There are two approved training providers:
Corruption prevention CPD
All current certifiers must complete Fair Trading’s online CPD within three months of being notified by email that it is available (expected later in 2020).
New certifiers registered from 1 July 2020 must complete it in their first year of registration.
Building and Development Certifiers legislation CPD
All current certifiers must complete Fair Trading’s online CPD by 1 July 2020 where possible and new certifiers registered from 1 July 2020 must complete within their first year of registration.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.