Becoming a certifier

Important: The Building and Development Certifiers Act and Regulation commenced on 1 July 2020.

This new legislation has been created to regulate the certifier industry. It also brings changes in key areas that certifiers need to understand.

Find out more about the changes.

To become a registered certifier in NSW you must apply to NSW Fair Trading and:

  • complete either the Certification Short Course offered by the University of Technology Sydney, or our registration exam
  • demonstrate you have the qualifications, experience, skills and knowledge
  • demonstrate you are a fit and proper person
  • provide a certificate of currency, policy schedule and policy wording for your professional indemnity insurance (except council employees covered by the council’s insurance).

Qualifications and experience

Qualifications and experience requirements are listed at the end of the registration application form and in Schedule 2 of the Building and Development Certifiers Regulation. Not all classes of registration require practical experience.

Building surveyor applicants, read our guide to help you apply:

Skills and knowledge

Skills and knowledge requirements are in Schedule 3 of the Building and Development Certifiers Regulation or download our guide (above) for more information.

Renewing registration

Once approved, you will need to renew your registration every 1, 3 or 5 years.

Ready to apply?

To apply to become a building and development certifier visit the application page.

Mutual recognition

Registered certifiers in other states and territories can apply for registration in NSW under mutual recognition laws.

Visit the application page for more information.

Becoming a swimming pool certifier

To become a registered swimming pool inspector, you must have one of the following:

  • certifier registration as a building inspector (unconditional), or
  • a licence or qualified supervisor's certificate under the Home Building Act that authorises you to build a swimming pool or structural landscaping, or
  • two years' recent experience working for a council and inspecting at least 20 swimming pools.

You must also complete the swimming pool inspector training course.

Only the following providers are approved to deliver the course:

Applicants entering as a building inspector, or person authorised under the Home Building Act, must undertake a Fair Trading exam.

Next Certifier responsibilities