Interstate and New Zealand licences

Mutual Recognition

Most licences granted in other States and Territories or New Zealand are recognised in NSW. Under this mutual recognition system, a person registered to practise an occupation (such as carpentry) in one state or territory is entitled to practise an equivalent occupation in another state or territory. First, you must notify the local registration authority.

For a form and explanatory notes for applying for a licence to do residential building work in NSW under mutual recognition, refer to the Applicant’s Checklist for Individual Applicants for Mutual Recognition.

Automatic Mutual Recognition

Automatic Mutual Recognition allows individuals who hold some specified licences issued in other Australian States and Territories or New Zealand to work in NSW under that licence. The NSW Mutual Recognition (Automatic Licensed Occupations Recognition) Act and Regulation commenced on 1 December 2014.

Recognised interstate licensees will not need a NSW licence unless they relocate their primary place of residence to NSW. This is similar to someone with a driver’s licence issued by another state being able to legally drive on NSW roads; only if they move to NSW do they need a NSW driver’s licence. While working in NSW, a recognised interstate licensee is subject to the same laws as NSW licence holders. NSW Fair Trading can take disciplinary and enforcement action against them.

The provisions that do not require a NSW licence only apply to specific occupations contained in the Regulation. Licensees in other occupations must apply under mutual recognition to have their licence recognised by NSW. Go to the Automatic Mutual Recognition – East Coast Electricians page for more information.

Being a nominated supervisor under Automatic Mutual Recognition

If you have a deemed local licence under the provision of Automatic Mutual Recognition, you may be eligible to become a nominated qualified supervisor for a NSW contractor company or partnership licence. Go to our Nominated Qualified Supervisors page for more information. Subscribe to the Foundations enewsletter for the homebuilding industry to stay up-to-date on mutual recognition laws and other matters.

Prev Company and partnership licences
Next Overseas trained applicants