Work involved in the construction of external landscape features, and non-habitable structures including the following:
- retaining walls of any material that do not form part of a habitable building,
- fencing irrespective of the construction material, driveways, paths and other paving of any material,
- cabanas, pergolas, decks and non-habitable shelters,
- ornamental ponds, water features and other structural ornamentation.
A contract for structural landscaping can include any specialist work that is integral to the overall work, but such work must be carried out by the holder of an endorsed contractor licence or qualified supervisor certificate in the relevant category of specialist work.
Note: A licence is required to undertake work to concrete tennis courts and the like but only if the work involved is to be done under a contract to do other work that is residential building work.
A licence is required to construct or install ornamental ponds and water features and other structural ornamentation which requires development consent but only if the work involved is to be done under a contract to do other work that is residential building work.
- AHC30916/ AHC30910 Certificate III in Landscape Construction; or
- RTF30403 Certificate III in Horticulture (Landscape); or
- RUH30498 Certificate III in Horticulture (Landscape) TAFE course #0672; or
- Certificate III in Landscaping TAFE course #1581.
Go to the building licensing courses page to find a Registered Training Organisation that provides the qualification listed above.
Previous licence and supervisor certificate holders
If you have ever held a licence or supervisor certificate in the current prescribed categories (Home Building Regulation 2014, clauses 13 and 14, excluding clause 13(a)(ii)) that was not subject to restrictions or conditions and you apply for a new licence or supervisor certificate, your previous licence or certificate will be accepted in lieu of the current qualification requirements.
If you have held a licence or supervisor certificate in the last five years that was subject to restrictions or conditions in the prescribed categories (Home Building Regulation 2014, clauses 13 and 14, excluding clause 13(a)(ii)), we will assess your application and reissue you a licence or certificate that reflects the scope of work that your licence or certificate covered. This may include some conditions or restrictions.