If a family member or friend dies and you are arranging their funeral, there are many things to consider and several steps to take.
First, you should find out if they have a will as it could contain directions for funeral arrangements. Then consider:
- Have any financial arrangements been made to pay for the funeral such as a funeral bond or insurance or pre-paid funeral?
- Did the deceased person have a pre-paid grave?
- Is there enough money in the deceased person’s bank account to pay for the funeral and have you contacted the bank about accessing the funds?
- Are there any sickness, accident, life, superannuation or private health insurance policies which may make a payment towards the funeral?
- Was the deceased a returned service person or did they belong to any club, pensioner association or trade union, which may entitle them to a funeral benefit?
- If you or the deceased person received payments from Centrelink have you checked with Centrelink about a possible bereavement payment or allowance?